The Hidden Chapter Bookstore - Fort Thomas, KY
Store Name: The Hidden Chapter Bookstore
Location: Fort Thomas, KY
Visit Time: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:30pm
Website: The Hidden Chapter Bookstore on Instagram
Visit Time: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:30pm
Website: The Hidden Chapter Bookstore on Instagram
Type: New and Used Books
"A place I didn't know I needed"
I went to Fort Thomas to meet a friend for dinner at the Tickle Pickle. A quick search earlier that morning turned up The Hidden Chapter Bookstore. The pictures online made it look quite unique and it had great reviews on Google, a perfect 5.0 with 20+ reviews, so I decided to leave early for dinner and make a stop. Glad I did.
The pictures online didn't do the design of this bookstore enough justice. As I said in my intro post, I've been to well over 100 bookstores before I started blogging about them. This is likely the most unique bookstore that I've been in where the theme and experience is evident. Many of the newer bookstores are catering to the experience, not just the purchase. Dave and team have knocked it out of the park on that score. Before even going inside I could see the desk, some artwork, high backed chairs and of course high bookshelves that gave it an older feel. Walking through the door I had an immediate sense of being in a Victorian home or large study with the Victorian style chairs, ornate portrait frames, oval frames, antique tin ceiling, opulent chandelier, and some metal chairs that give it a bit of a steampunk futuristic vibe. Very cool space, very inviting. And I would be remiss if I didn't comment on the waistcoat that the owner, Dave, was wearing behind the counter...also very in character for the space.
| Photo from Google |
Since I've started this blog and paid more attention to the genesis story of many newer bookstores I find that they were hatched in some form or fashion during the pandemic. Hidden Chapter was also plotted during the pandemic, Dave said, “My wife is the book worm, I'm more of a book dragon. During the pandemic while we worked at home we turned a room in our home into a library. We found ourselves wishing we could spend the rest of our lives like that, just drinking coffee, surrounded by books,” That thought manifested into a bookstore a few short years later!
I'd be remiss if I didn't mention they have beer, wine, and bourbon. Where was this in bookstores when I was younger? Way back then I guess it would have been shunned in society but not wanting to buck a good trend I had a Sam Adams Cold Snap while I was browsing the shelves. This is an experience I could get used to and I managed to find a couple of Hercule Poirot books for my collection.
This great little bookstore has only been open 3 months and while the name might be "hidden" this bookstore won't remain hidden for long!
That's the Lowe-down on The Hidden Chapter Bookstore! Tune in next week for a quick visit to The Little Professor Book Center in Athens, OH.




Comments
Post a Comment